Tuesday, January 31, 2012

July 2011

Welcome to summer dear friends. Neal and I are making great strides on our Cause and Effect album that we’re recording with our bassist Freddy Holman. We’re putting on the finishing touches now and will harvest it this fall to commemorate our 40th anniversary. As mentioned before, this will be a stripped down all-acoustic album of our “give a damn” songs including several new ones. It really captures our live power trio sound and may well be the best album we’ve ever made.

Speaking of summer and flies, after 21 months on the golf DL (disabled list) from a rotator cuff injury I was finally able to tee it up for 9 holes with my son Rufus last month. A few days later after no apparent side effects we teed it up again. I’ll skip over our awful scores and fast forward to last week with Tom Dean, my partner in crime with The Nu-Utopians, on his beautiful mountain golf course in North Conway, NH. It was there that I was reacquainted with those tiny silent assassins better known as Black Flies. According to Tom, they are New Hampshire’s unofficial state bird between Mothers and Fathers Day. We were warned that the little buggers were out in mass before teeing off but not wanting to endure that smelly bug spray, I decided to wait until they attacked. Bad idea! 42 bites later I realized I’d been had. Forewarned is forearmed so lather up my friends before venturing out this season! On a happier note, our beloved fireflies are bobbing about in full splendor now.

No comments: